ALUMINUM SAMPLER PODS
After tasting the oolongs in our sampler box, hang on to those empty pods! These aluminum ramekins can be used to make an easy, tasty tea treat. Just follow this recipe developed by our friend Jen Yee! After you're done, give the pods a quick rinse and toss them in your recycling bin.
by Jen Yee of Bakers Bench
“These jellies are subtly sweet and crunchy — just like grass jelly! This is a fast dessert when you want something sweet, but not heavy, like after a light meal on a hot day.
The sugar adds a pleasant sweetness that doesn’t overpower the oolong. The orange peel pairs nicely with the toasted caramel notes of the tea while adding some depth. I used a dancong but any Three Gems oolong or other tea will do! Experiment with additions (microplaned citrus zest, finely diced apples, sesame seeds, etc.) and toppings (condensed milk, jams, fresh fruit, etc.). Have fun!” - Jen
Active Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 5 oolong jelly pods (scale up for more, see note below)
- 10 oz filtered water
- 2.5g (1 sampler pod) of Three Gems Tea oolong
- 4” strip of orange zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon agar agar powder (I used Telephone brand)
- In a small pot, bring filtered water to 205°F and pour over oolong leaves and orange peel in a mug or bowl.
- Steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain brewed tea back into a small pot and bring back to a boil.
- Mix sugar and agar agar together in a small bowl. (This will prevent the agar agar from clumping when mixed with the tea.)
- Once the tea is boiling over medium-high heat, slowly pour the sugar-agar agar mixture in while whisking continually.
- Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly — if left alone, the agar agar will settle to the bottom of the pot and can burn!
- Turn off heat and divide between 5 empty tea pods.
- Let cool, undisturbed, for 10 minutes, then transfer to the fridge.
- The jellies will cool completely and set in about one hour.
- To unmold, run a paring knife along the edge of the pod or briefly dip the pod in hot water and turn it upside down. Dress it up with toppings if you feel like it, and enjoy!
SCALING UP: Feel free to scale this up! Make sure you use a pot larger than you think you need so nothing boils over. After adding the sugar-agar agar mixture, continue boiling for 2 minutes only.